Saturday, December 08, 2007

Snow, slush, and socks.

I keep having these blogworthy moments.. and I'm not writing them down!

Speaking with another friend that is also in London, who used to be one of my interns, and who also lived in Chicago... we had a great exchange about our former cities..

"Chicago is an amazing city. And you know that when you live there. But you really REALLY appreciate it when you move away. There is a greater appreciation for Chicago once you live in another city. Its like you know it when you live there, but you REALLY REALLY know how GOOD it is when you move away."

Its not like you take it for granted, you know how good something is, and you appreciate it. But once you don't have something for a while, you know its there, and you don't think about it so much.. but when you do think about it.. it really hits you.. wow.. that IS something I really enjoy and love!

Kind of like Portillo's cheeseburgers. When I lived in Chicago, I KNOW I loved it. I know how much I enjoyed it. But you really don't "appreciate" it as much because its just there and you can eat it anytime. Then sometimes I'll have this craving for it over here. And you know what? I can't have it. This is frustrating. You then think to yourself... wow, that really is a good cheeseburger. Chargrilled, dripping with grease, bread gets all soggy if you don't eat it fast enough.. Mmm Mmm good.

Or like snow. My parents told me that Chicago finally had its first proper snowfall this year. I was thinking to myself. Wow. Snow. It doesn't snow here. Yeah, sometimes snow is annoying, especially when it starts melting and turns into slush and then you don't wear snow boots and it gets into your socks. Then your socks are wet all day and this is the absolute worst. I can't think of anything worse than wet socks. Well maybe getting a paper cut between the webs of my two fingers, although, that's instant pain, whereas if you were in public you can't just take your socks off and walk around barefoot. You have to just bare the cold wetness of it all after each and every step.. URGH.. But anyway, I digress.

So yeah, snow, I miss looking outside and watching snow fall. It doesn't happen here. And if it does, all hell breaks loose and apparently the city completely shuts down. I think that would be funny. After all, people wear scarfs here when its like 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Its not that cold!! Sheesh.

Anyway, I guess I'm just mentally excited since I'll be home in two weeks. Sorry for the ramblings, but like Abby mentioned, I need to "just write."

1 comment:

Abby said...

hi five on the whole socks/paper cut rambling. thats how ive known you to write. too funny. :)