Friday, August 01, 2008

Two buttons?

Ugh.. looks like I finally dipped to that single post count last month since living here. I guess the novelty of the whole move has almost completely warn off.

Its funny because I always have it in the back of my mind that I want to write something. I sometimes make mental notes of what I want to write next, but it just never happens.

Luckily I couldn't sleep and naturally woke up a few hours before the hectic day begins which gives me time to write!

So let start the month right and get back into my old ways...

So my topic? My toilet.

I believe I've posted this in the past, but the toilet water here in the UK doesn't rise as high as it does in the States. This leads to problems when taking a #2 as it leaves what I've been taught since my early childhood days, as "streaks." Obviously depending on what you've eaten, or how "loose" you are, you can literally leave your "mark."

Now the interesting bit is that I've always noticed that there are "two" buttons on toilets here in the UK, and in fact, in Europe. I always wondered why. I mean it always seemed obvious, but I've never confirmed it.


  • The small button for #1.

  • The big button for #2.



So where do I go to confirm it? Wikipedia of course!

It was in 1980 that Bruce Thompson developed what is called the "Duoset cistern" with two buttons and two flush volumes as a water-saving measure and it saves an average household 67% of their normal water usage.

Hmm... do I have two buttons in my household toilet?

Why yes! I do. I actually really didn't notice it to be honest. In fact, I don't think I've ever used the small button.

How amazing is that. But you know what? I DO press the big button. And guess what?

I always leave my mark. =/

I guess it would have been different if I had always used the small button, and then discovered the big button. At least that would help solve this "streak" problem. Maybe if I press and hold the button longer?

1 comment:

Abby said...

i think you're left with only one option. get a filipino tabo/bucket; fill it to the brim with water; dump it in the toilet. :)