Monday, November 06, 2006

High School Reunion

You know its a really small world when a person you knew in high school happens to move to London around the same time as you do. I don't see this person for over 11 years and my visit to NYC last week revealed that he's a friend of a friend! Sure enough, my NYC friends link us back up and we finally caught up over the weekend.

He was a nerd back in high school, as was I in some ways. But he was in the true "nerd" crowd and I look at him now and I would have never guessed it after meeting up with him over the weekend. We shared our experiences over the past 11 years and went down the list of people we knew in high school and played that game of:

"So do you still talk to..."

“Whatever happened to…”

“Did you hear about??”

It turns out that we moved around the same time, so it was interesting to hear his experiences in London compared to mine. We had an interesting discussion on the different areas in London and how each little area has a different feel, something that I could tell right away by hanging out near the area where he lived. (Which seems to predominately populated with "continentals") He had an interesting point that depending on where you live, will affect on how much you enjoy London. He had a story of a friend that just didn’t like London at all. He then moved locations and all of a sudden he loves it.

Now I’m not saying that I don’t like London or that I’m not enjoying my experiences, but I think I’m ready to move to a different area. I love my flat and its so easy to be lazy and stay in the area where I live, but I think it would be worth living in another part of the capital.

1 comment:

Renato Tosoc said...

Did he have any "...and then she took off her knickers..." stories? :) Who was this guy? I wonder if we made fun of him...