Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy 2009!

Ringing in 2009 was a unique experience. I think almost symbolic. This is the first year I rang in the new year with people in my life that do not have any connection to my hometown Chicago.

I can't say it was strange, but it was definitely out of the norm. I'm usually surrounded by old friends I've known for ages, or close family members. But this time around, I spent it with people that are important in my life here in London.

The past 3 years since I've moved, I'd come back to Chicago to celebrate the new year and it was just like old times. But this time I spent it here. At "home." It was unique, unforgettable, and different, in a good way.

What was also different was my visit to Chicago. Perhaps it was the hectic schedule with my recent visit in September, maybe it was the arctic temperatures I was experiencing, but this visit, I took time for myself and specifically my family.

I usually run around and schedule lunches weeks in advance, dinners, coffee's with as many people as I can, trying to sync up with old friends and family. But this time around I took the opportunity to just chill. I still went to a couple Christmas parties, and I did catch up with old friends when I got the chance. But I didn't constantly go out as much as I use to when I come to visit. Instead, I spent time with the parents and sister, and had family dinners as much as possible. Its weird, but as I grow older, I'm really realizing how important it is to spend as much time as possible with your family.

So what's in store for 2009? I think the new year's resolution post should be coming up soon. It will be interesting to see how I did from last year. For this year, I have a few, but I think my top one is to see if I can beat my post count of "30" from 2008, especially since I found out over the holidays that I still have avid readers! You know who you are. =)

No comments: