Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ring ring...

So keeping true to one of my New Year's resolutions I finally rode my bike in London!

First time for everything! Last week I finally had some maintenance done on my bike since I left it out in my balcony for a year exposed to the elements. I had to get my chain, headset, and cables all replaced due to rust! And it wasn't cheap, but I knew it was going to be worth it.

And indeed, it was worth it today. As spring has finally set in, I took my first ride in London. Its hard to believe that its almost taken 3 years before this has happened. I didn't brave the street unfortunately. I just rode along Regent's Canal, all the way to and around Victoria's Park.

The one thing I've noticed is that I'm missing a crucial piece of hardware. A bike bell!

I found myself getting caught behind pedestrians when riding along the path next to the canal, and I would have to say "excuse me" so that they can make way for my bike! After a while, I would try to make all kinds of sounds so people would take notice that I was right behind them. I would try different things like: pedal backwards really fast so they could hear my chain, click my brakes a few times (even though it wasn't that loud), clear my throat real loud, and I even considered making a fake "ringing noise"!

"rrrrinngg.. rrrringgg.."

I almost tried to, but I was afraid people would think that would be a little too weird...

"Hey look at the guy making the fake bike bell noises!!"

All in all, a very memorable experience, almost 3 years in the making.

No comments: