Thursday, March 02, 2006

Drivers Ed!!

I finally got to drive on the wrong side of the road today! Very exciting! I felt like I was in drivers education again. Basically my old boss had to pick up his car from the dealer so he drove to work and had already paid the congestion charge.

Right after work my coworker and I took turns driving. The best was that it was also a manual transmission! Not only did I have to drive on the wrong side, but the gear box was also on the wrong side! Shifting with my left hand was really strange. Luckily I didn't bruise my right hand trying to grab for the shifter!

Like I said, it felt like driver's ed all over again. My coworker drove for a bit, then we swapped. My old boss was riding the back seat giving us advice. After we both took turns my old boss even asked us to drop him off so we could go cruising! So we took turns again driving all around town!

It was so much fun. It was a totally different experience since I spend most of my time either walking or taking public transportation. I noticed that the city is not as big traveling in a car. What normally would take a long time taking the tube, took maybe half the time on the car. Also, with so many people in this city you have to be so much more alert. Motorcycles, pedal bikes, big red buses and pedestrians are everywhere. You'd think driving on the wrong side of the road and car was bad enough!

The best advice my old boss gave me is to remember that the driver's side always faces the middle of the road in a two lane road. Which if you think about it, is the same as the States. So turning left I always have to take the inner lane, while turning right, I had to go wide! And if I remember correctly, is completely opposite to what I'm use too since the driver's side is now on the passenger side.

After a while though things get more comfortable where you don't think about it as much. My old boss even told us that we could borrow the car anytime as long as we fill up the tank! The problem with that is that gas or "petrol" as they call it here averages over $6.00 here per gallon! We stopped by the gas station and to fill up the tank cost about $70.00!

Yoga Part II
So I started my second session of Yoga yesterday. The class was packed. There were 2 other girls that had already taken it with me. We were veterans. The best part was that the teacher called us to stand in the front row of class so people can watch us!
Luckily my bodily functions were under control.

No comments: