Monday, March 27, 2006

Taste of Spain Part IV - Off to Granada to see the Alhambra

Alhambra
Fast forward again to Granada, Spain to visit the Alhambra. After spending the weekend in Barcelona, which included going out Saturday night and yelling "Hola!" in a drunken fashion to high school kids at a bar, we were off to Granada Sunday night.

Yet again, we almost miss our scheduled departure. It took us forever to find a taxi to go to the train station which resulted in a bit of anxiety. Luckily we found one and made the overnight train to Granada with only minutes to spare. The trip would take us 12 hours and we had beds to sleep in. The beds were comfortable but I would wake up and have this feeling of falling off the bed since the train would rock back and forth every time it would stop. This is because the bed was perpendicular to the direction of travel.

After picking up our rental car, (for our drive to Seville later in the day) one of our first destinations was the Mirador de San Nicholas. Trusting the Lonely Planet guide, it suggested to go to the Mirador de San Nicholas which provided the best views of the Alhambra.

Here's a professional picture of how it looked like:





This is my version:


Either way, it was a breaktaking view and is considered the most famous viewpoint in Granada. So famous that I've included yet another video!



After shooting this video, we were so excited that we ran out of the plaza to catch the next bus to the Alhambra. Not out of embarrassment of course, but of true excitement!

The Alhambra was quite beautiful. I had seen a few pictures of it before, just like the picture I took above with the reflecting pool, but to see it in person is an unforgettable experience. We walked around the palace and bought the audio guide which was totally worth it. Otherwise we'd be walking around without any idea of what we were looking at.


We spent most of the day at the Alhambra and concluded the day by visiting Generalife or "Garden of the Architect. The picture on the left gives you a little taste of what it looked like.

After spending most of the day here, we were off to our roadtrip down the southern coast of Spain, hitting a couple cities along the way. Some expected, some not expected!

To be continued.. yet again..

V for Vendetta
I'm a huge Natalie Portman fan. If you've read my blog in the past, I've already educated you on the background you need to watch this movie! I didn't know what to expect going into it, but I did enjoy watching it! I think Natalie's performance was pretty good and almost a "coming of age" role for her. (Considering that her last role I saw her in was in Star Wars Ep. III.) I loved her English accent in the movie, and of course, I loved how it all took place in London! Not a bad movie to see for my first movie experience in London.

No comments: