Friday, April 21, 2006

Greatest Achievements of Mankind.

Rome was definitely one of the cities that I wanted to hit when I moved over here. At first I was quite hesitant in going because I was going by myself. But looking back, it was probably one of the better decisions I've made. =)

Why?

1. Seeing the Pope during Easter weekend.
2. Benefits of meeting new people when traveling alone.
3. What better way to take advantage of a four day weekend than to see a city like Rome!

The thing with traveling alone is that you are in complete control of your itinerary. You can wake up as early as you want or sleep in. You can have everything planned to the minute, or just go with the flow. Not only that, two things happen.

1. You seem more approachable.
2. You tend to be more social.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind traveling with others. It's nice to be with someone when it comes to discovering and sightseeing a new city. But traveling alone does come with its perks.

Did I see everything I wanted to see in Rome? Yes, I'd say so. Did I see everything? Of course not. Would I go back? Definitely.

I started Friday with an early visit to Galleria Borghese. I got to see Bernini's Apollo and Daphne and David, Canova's Paulina Bonaparte, and The Deposition by Raphael. Then I signed up for the Vatican City museum Tour through Icon Tours, who were very good. The tour ended at the Sistine Chapel and I probably spent about an hour and a half just admiring the work of the various artists and of course the ceiling by Michelangelo. Unfortunately you couldn't take pictures! (Something about Fuji Film owning the copyrights since they paid millions in restoration and exchange for payment then wanted copyrights to the paintings) The Sistine Chapel is definitely a must see in one's lifetime. The Last Judgment fresco by Michelangelo I probably admired for at least a half hour. It amazes me how one man, who originally was just a sculptor could paint such a masterpiece.


I then headed over to St. Peter's Square where Pope Benedict XVI was holding Good Friday Mass. You can see my perspective from the picture. So many people. It was unbelievable how many people filled up St. Peter's Basilica.



If you've ever been there, you can understand how big this Basilica is. I think it can fit about 60,000 people!

I make it out to the Colloseum at night for another papal event with the Stations of the Cross with the Pope.


Again, packed. So many people. I started to realise how much fanfare and love there was for this Pope. It's like he was a rockstar. I could not have imagined how it was like when JPII was alive.




That Friday night the Pope spoke in Italian and I wish I understood what he was saying. People would applause loudly for what it seemed like every 5 minutes. People would chant and sing in Italian, even chanting his name in unison. It was an experience that is hard to describe into words on how this Pope affected so many people with his presence. And this was just the first night.

No comments: