Friday, July 06, 2007

I don't want chinese food.

I think this vegetarian thing has really hit home tonight. I met up with an old friend Carol tonight and decided to eat at my "go to" Chinese restaurant, Jade Garden.

It was a group of 4 and guess what everyone decided to get? The good ol' set menu which included the aromatic duck with pancake.

Can you say torture?

I stood my ground and announced that I was practicing the art of being a vegetarian. I watched in agony as they enjoyed one of my favourite dishes - Aromatic duck with vegetables, wrapped in a nice pancake with hoisin sauce! They continued with their meal with plate after plate of non-vegetarian dishes. What did I get?

I ordered the sweet and sour prawns with special fried rice.

Special fried rice you say? It was an innocent choice.

I forgot it had pork. Oops.

But I was true to my word and picked out every single little piece of pork out of the fried rice. Its amazing how many pieces of pork add up after you pick every single one out! In the end, I had a nice pile of pork right next to my rice bowl. It was not very appetizing quite frankly.

Oh the sacrifices I make. 8 days and counting.

4 comments:

Abby said...

haha...you're hilarious. hi!

dk said...

so, let me ask you this. why are you trying to practice the art of vegetarianism again? is it a personal test of self-discipline? is it health-related? is it an ethical choice? what do you hope to gain out of this? i ask these questions because it seems like you're sacrificing the normal daily joys of life of eating that aromatic duck in pancake for what? what happened to living in the moment? i commend you if it is for the sake of a greater cause, otherwise, i don't like seeing you torture yourself and deprive yourself of something as simple as good tasting yummy food!
i'm not trying to be the devil and tempt you; i'm trying to be a voice of reason.
;-)

ExPat in London said...

It started as a bet.. between colleagues.. then it has suddenly become a challenge to see how long I can go... kind of like when you run for like 5 miles.. and then you're like... I can do a couple more! I'm on fumes right now tho...

Renato Tosoc said...

Mmmmmmmmmm. I had bacon at breakfast this morning. I think I'll have a bbq chicken pizza later with a side of sausage. Then for dinner I'm going to top it all off with a nice big T-bone steak right off the grill. Mmmmmmmmmm.