Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Living in the Moment

My mind is constantly in motion. There's so many things going on in my head that I'm beginning to think its not normal. I think about work the next day, where my next trip will be, what I'm going to do when I go back to Chicago, what my next blog post will be... etc. But before I scare you any further, let me try and focus.

Ah yes. Living in the moment.

Stop reading and simply take a look around you. What the hell are you doing? Why are you wasting your time reading this damn post anyway? Take in your surroundings. Perhaps you are in the comfort of your own home, sitting in your bed with your laptop, or maybe you're slacking off at work, looking at the clock, hoping the day will end soon. But for one second, take it all in. Live the moment.

I only bring this up because I've had conversations with a couple people about this exact topic.

I think living in the moment, for me, is something I really need to work on.

Rewind a month back. I was on holiday with my closest friends. And, yes, now I think about it, I wish I took more of an opportunity to live the moment.

What's my interpretation? What's "living in the moment?"

Clearing my head of any thoughts of the future or past. Being in the present. Focusing at what's happening at that moment in time. Appreciating it. Enjoying it at that second. Visually capturing it. Remembering and loving it in hopes to share that exact moment as a story with others years from now.

That's what comes to my mind initially. Granted, you can't "live in the moment" for every moment. Its not like you can really "live in the moment" when you are sitting there waiting for the tube to arrive. But you get my drift.

I mention this because I know I should have done it more often while I was on holiday, and I hope to focus on this moving forward. I think its really powerful because I distinctly remember when I was "living in it" a month ago.

Perhaps that's what makes the most memorable memories... when you consciously are, in fact, "living in the moment."

No comments: