Thursday, October 06, 2005

Liquid Dinner Part II.

I can confirm now that Brits simply do have Liquid dinners. We are about to leave for drinks tonight, and my other coworkers were buying sandwiches and snacks while my other American coworker sat there eating nothing. People were nibbling on their sandwiches and small snacks I was wondering why this was. They confirmed that no one really eats while drinking!

....

And now I'm back. Nothing like a night of drinking and a blog post. First and foremost, I must say, I'm not a "walker and talker." What does this mean you ask? I'm speaking of the skill of walking and talking! Here's the situation. Have you ever been in a big group or even a small group of people that are heading to the same destination? And you ever notice that people break into 2 or 3 people, basically walking together side by side and having a small superficial discussion? Well, this happens all the time, and I find myself walking by myself all the time!! People are paired up 2 or 3 people talking about some stupid subject, and for some reason I end up walking by myself all the time! I thought it was the fact that I always end up with an "odd" number of people, where everyone "pairs" up besides me, but even tonight, 10 people, I end up walking by myself. Its not like I choose to walk by myself, but for some reason, it always ends up this way. Maybe I'm not as social? I don't know. But interesting nonetheless.

In any case, it was an interesting night as discussions covering Affirmative Action, rebuilding New Orleans, and good old Rugby. I hope to go to a Rugby match this November! We'll see.

Encouraging
I'd like to thank many of you who have written emails of encouragement. Your emails mean more than you'll ever know. I do read each and everyone, and sometimes multiple times. I do plan on writing back, don't worry, I just want to write a more meaningful and heartfelt email back and it will take me a little more time for composition. I do miss Chicago a lot, and I know what I'm going through now and what I learn about myself will be priceless when I look back at this in the future.

More Americans
Went to lunch today only to meet more American women. I don't remember if I mentioned this but there is this program in London that have a bunch of Interns here working for a year from the States. Met more women from North Carolina, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Have I met more local brits outside of work? No.

Initiative
I looked into improv classes/workshops here in London. I plan on attending one next Tuesday. Perhaps an outlet to meet new people. Should be interesting since I'll be the "token" American.
That should be an interesting blog post. I'll keep you updated. =)

2 comments:

Abby said...

i always walk behind the group. its okay. they are the ones missing out on not talking to you.

ooOOOO...improv class...that sounds cool. can't wait to read that one!

Renato Tosoc said...

If you walk behind eveyone you can see what's going at all times. Also if you trip, no one can laugh at you unless you make a lound noise.