Monday, November 07, 2005

Writer's Block and Fireworks

I'm honestly having trouble coming up with something to write! Maybe its because I'm settling in? Who knows.. But for anyone that is reading is.. I'll continue to make it interesting.

So Guy Fawke weekend. America has some serious English competition when it comes to fireworks. All weekend long, nonstop, fireworks everywhere. Almost to a point where it was annoying. It was nice though because some displays were just outside my window.

If you have googled successfully, Guy Fawke failed in his attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament, King James I, and the entire English government. He was part of a plot with 12 other men, led by Robert Catesby and they felt that violent action was the answer to all the Catholic persecution under James I. Unfortunately it was Guy Fawke that was caught under the House of Lords with 36 barrels of gunpowder.

"Remember, Remember, the 5th of November!"

So I met up with an old friend that I worked with to celebrate this momentous occasion on Friday. I had to take public transportation, and well, yet again, another painful experience.

I was running late because all the trains were packed, and for the first time I had to take the National Rail service. This is equivalent to suburban train service in the states. Anyway, it was my first time taking it, and I thought I could use my regular "pre-pay" travel card.

Apparently not. I couldn't exit out of the station turnstyles because my card wasn't working. So I approached the ticket attendant to tell him about my problem. I told him my travel card wasn't working. He proceeds to ask me if I bought a ticket. I said no. Then he goes on and writes me a fine for not having a ticket!

I beg and plead and tell him that I just moved here from America and I don't know how this system works. I even emphasized my American accent. (Don't ask me what I mean by this) And without any remorse he writes me a fine for £20 !! (about $35). He showed no mercy. I guess on the bright side of things, I can write a letter to appeal this whole thing. I mean, its not like I didn't want to pay! I'm not a criminal!

The fireworks were quite impressive. I was surprised since I had this arrogant feeling that when it comes to competing with July 4th fireworks, nothing can come close. I've seen some pretty impressive firework displays in my life, but I'll admit, last Friday was pretty good.

The funny thing with watching fireworks, at least for me, is that it's nothing new. But somehow, we are still amazed by it. I love all the expressions on people's faces when they watch fireworks. And I'm sure I make some weird expressions as well. But then again, its not like we've never seen it before! Big open eyes.. expressions of awe.. I wish I had a overhead camera that would capture people's faces while watching fireworks. I wonder how that would look like? (I know I'm weird) So I don't know what it is with fireworks and its attraction. Perhaps its this love for explosions and the brilliant colours in the night sky. I really don't know.

After the fireworks display ended, we all caught drinks. I also seem to have missed the detail that I met up with 6 women. Yeah I counted. That gave a little boost to the ego. Too bad I was a half hour late and kept all them waiting. (A couple were cute for those who want to know) One had a goofy personality which I was attracted to right away. She was one of those people that finds everything funny and has that self-deprecating humour that I'm so familiar with. Don't think I'll ever see her again though since she's roommates with my old friend that's leaving London anyway!

What's that smell?
One of the women that went with us had a bad case of BO. (Body odor) I can't stand that. I mean, who does right? At first I didn't know where the smell was coming from. And of course, reasons I attribute to human nature, I had to find out who it was.

So I did that whole thing where you look around, doing those quick sniffs like a dog, turning your head each and every way to find the source. And sure enough, sadly, it was one of the girls we were with. So sad, and what a turn off. I knew it was her for sure because I made the effort to actually sit next to her to confirm this. Call it self torture. But at least my curiosity was satisfied.

2 comments:

Abby said...

haha. another well written blog. clap clap clap clap. i know why i love watching fireworks: it takes me back to my childhood days when i was care-free and immature and goofy...hold up! wait a second...that's how i am now. doh! BO h8r, abbs :)

kristine said...

you're writer's block.