Tuesday, September 26, 2006

London vs. NYC Part II

I've visited NYC many times before. In fact I was just here right before the new year. But I haven't looked at it the way I have in the past week in my past visits. I guess I can compare it to one of my relationships in the past. Its like NYC was always there, but you never really thought twice about it because I lived in Chicago, which I always thought was the better city anyway.

Then I moved to London, experienced some of that in the past year, noticing its pros/cons... but then I come back to New York this week with this sudden new appreciation. Its like a girl you were always friends with, then all of a sudden you see this light and then for some odd reason you have this strange attraction for her. You can't explain it, but it just happens.

That's what I have with NYC at the moment. Maybe because I look at it as a future home? Maybe its an "American" version of London? I can't explain it really, but all of a sudden I just have this infactuation with it that I can't explain.

Is it the air-conditioned subways? The melting pot of culture? The women that seem to be everywhere? (I swear there's a 3-to-1 girl/guy ratio) Is it the casual encounters with famous people? (Apparently Stifler (Seann William Scott) walked right pass me, and Oprah's Stedman crossed my path.) Is it the fact people like making out in the streets?

I just can't explain it. I'm anxious and look forward to perhaps the opportunity to live here. I'm actually afraid this one month hiatus will make me regress and miss America too much once I eventually go back good ol' London.

1 comment:

Renato Tosoc said...

Stifler was filming a movie or something at Lasalle and Randolph one day. I went over there to meet him. I looked like one of the extras so when they yelled action I walked with everyone else and I think I got in one of the shots. He seems like a cool dude. I wanted to get close enough to give him a business card. Didn't happen.