Friday, August 10, 2007

California - Future home?

I've made the trip to California for my cousin's wedding. The wedding is near the Bay Area - Vallejo, California. I was quite excited to make the trip because I wanted to get a feel for the area since I am seriously considering it for my next "move."

I've told myself that if I ever leave London, I'd try living in the East Coast or make the drastic change to move to the West Coast, particularly the Bay Area.

Some of the things I've noticed so far include:

  • Traffic - lots of it.

  • Shaved heads - All the asian guys seem to have their head shaved here.

  • Baggy Clothes - A fashion phase I went though during high school seems to have stood the test of time here. Again, its an asian thing again.

  • Lots of Asians - Maybe its the area I'm in, but man there are a lot of Asians! Seems like the Philippines, but in America.

  • Bouncers - At least in San Jose, are complete d!cks. More on that later.

  • Weather - A little cooler than the valley and the rest of California, but no winter and lots of sun!

  • People - Laid back and friendly.

  • Language - "Hella" - When I use this word, I sound "hella" weird.


A good impression so far, though, its hard to compete against London.

I can't believe I'm saying that, but that's my initial thought. London is the launch pad to continental Europe. Its known for its strong presence in the financial industry. Granted, it may not contain the most friendliest of people, nor the best weather, but it has so much history and character.

A lot of people have been asking: So how much longer are you going to stay in London?

Right now, I've been saying a couple more years. But what's after that? I don't know. Go back to Chicago? I think I'd like to try out either the East or West Coast. So far, the "west side" is not bad. I just have to shave my head, bust out my baggy clothes, and embellish my language using the word "hella" from time to time.

1 comment:

Renato Tosoc said...

You might look hella weird with a shaved head.