Saturday, August 04, 2007

Sweet Home Chicago

Its good to be home.

The weekend started off with a bang with my rare decision to go out straight away after arriving Friday night. I had this urge to go to Funky Buddha for some reason. I wanted to listen to some good hip hop and people watch. What better place to do so.

Funky Buddha, throughout all my experience in clubbing, has been the one consistent place that guarantees a good time and good hip hop. Would it be as good as I've remembered it?

Of course.

Its one of those clubs that stands the test of time. Its definitely has hit.. LEGEND... wait for it...and I hope you are not lactose intolerant... DARY! LEGENDARY status as far as the club scene goes!

We walk in and drop a name at the front door, hoping to get in for free. We were out of practice as we should have called ahead. Unfortunately our "hook up" did not ring a bell with the people working the door. We pay the $20 cover anyway and walk in.

As we enter, we are greeted by ol' school hip hop, just as I remember. I notice straight away the multicultural/diverse feel of the place. Wow, everyone isn't tall and white! (No offence to the scene in London, but this is what I'm use to.)

We order our drinks and enjoy the sounds of an ol' friend I invited to Battle of the DJ's 10 years ago, DJ Boy Wonder.

QTip, Boyz II Men, Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, would fill the room just like I remembered in my early clubbin' days.

Going to a club in the west end back in London, I'd be king of the dance floor, or at least compete to be. But in Buddha, I was nothing but a peasant in a kingdom where most members had rhythm! I kept telling my sister..

"Wow, everyone can dance!"

As the night went on, our "hook up" turned up and treated us with drinks the rest of the night. It definitely helps if you work there! A few red bull and vodkas and a few tequila shots later, my jetlag and drunkenness were not a good combination!

All in all, a very memorable night as Funky Buddha had yet again proved that its a staple in the Chicago clubbing scene.

And what a perfect night to end it all but a stop to White Castle for sliders! Its what you crave!

1 comment:

Abby said...

come out to celebrity @ wicker park sat PM. i love funky but celebrity is a cool scene too.