Monday, September 26, 2005

4th week and counting..

So I've entered the 4th week of my stay. Has it been a life changing experience? Yes. Is it starting to feel like I'm actually living here? Yes. Do I miss home? Hell yeah.

So its only been about 4 weeks and the homesickness is kicking in. I think it hit pretty bad late Saturday night on my half hour walk home. But I guess its something that comes and goes. I think it really hits when I'm alone really. But I guess sometimes when I'm in a big group, I still have this feeling.

Conversations are so superficial and its getting quite old. It's the typical: What do you do? How do you like it here? Where do you live? I miss just jumping right in and basically talking about more personal things and how that effects your life. I haven't had that type of conversation lately, or at all for that matter. Just stupid fake exchanges. Kind of annoying, and something I miss. I guess that's something you kind of get when you are so used to hanging out with people that you've known ALL your life. Thus, for everyone that reads this, that's what I miss the most right now. Conversations with people that I care about! I guess its my fault that I'm not making the effort in starting to make new friends and to somehow construct this relationship with people I meet, but seriously, that's a lot of work! And I can't honestly remember the last time I did that since freshman year in college. But I digress, how was the weekend? Again I resort to simple blurbs.

Haircut
Had my first haircut over the weekend. I was scared at first, but it all worked out. The barber gave me a piece of tissue after he was done and I had no idea why. I think you're supposed to use it to wipe off extra hair? Who knows?

Drinking.. again
Friday had after work drinks with a coworker that was leaving the bank. Coworker is such a strong word since I hardly knew the guy but hey, he paid for drinks and I took advantage. I'd like to reiterate that the beers here are bigger and stronger!
After hitting some Chinese fast food, 2 guys I normally hang out with hit up my first club: Wax Bar. It was okay. Filled with a mid-twenties crowd it was nice to be in an actual club. Music was subpar, and the crowd was the least bit beautiful. This is just coming from my wide experiences of nightclubs and bars, and this was hardly Miami-type quality, probably a couple shades below Lincoln Park quality. Highlight of the night: I had to go to the "gents" (restroom) and after washing my hands, the bathroom attendant wouldn't let me leave and literally danced with me and wouldn't stop until I tipped him. I've been known to "wash and run" many times especially in Chi-town, but it didn't work this time!

Silly Rabbit
Met up with an old friend that I had training with a while back. Went to Bourogh's Market. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and as a matter of fact, fresh meats. Even dead rabbit hanging on a display that you can purchase and cook! Best part was that they had samples of food in each booth and you can taste test all these cheeses and other types of food.

Language Barriers
Went to see a play: A Winter's Tale by Shakespeare in the Globe Theater replica. Had to stand the whole time and try to understand the dialog as it was all in Shakespearean style of writing.

On Sunday I tried finding a church near me that I could attend. I did find one. Unfortunately it was all in Italian. It was the same format as a typical catholic mass and I was held in anticipation as I was waiting for the "Peace Be With You" section of the mass. I was quite excited once it hit this part of the mass, but unfortunately I had a "premature" Peace Be With You moment when I was all ready to shake someone's hand, but no one was ready for me! Oh well, in any case I stuck out like a sore thumb since the whole church was filled with Italians. I seriously felt I was in an episode of Sopranos or in one of the Godfather movies.

For now..
Anyway, I've realised I've spent a lot of writing these days as my innermost thoughts can only be articulated through this blog and my personal journal. Finding people that I can share this with around here is something I'm still working on, but too lazy to do!
So for now, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

kristine said...

i hate being a phoney faker!

Abby said...

your hairbut blurb and the premature peace be with you is too funny. haha. i've got some juicy stories to tell you. i don't post them on my blog because the boy that stars in my story reads my blog. i can't wait to share it with you. shall i thouest emailest you with thine story?