Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Settling Down

So while I was in Chitown it seemed that I was in this weird phase where I felt I needed to settle down. I mean, who could blame me. Most of my friends were getting engaged, most were in serious relationships, and others were already married! In any case I was happy for them all, but I started to look inside myself whether or not it was time. I honestly would think about it every other day. Granted, I'm hitting my late thirties and if you asked me ten years ago, I'd tell you I would be married and have a kid on the way.

But here I am now. Away from everyone, in another country, experiencing something that I never thought I would do. And to be quite honest, settling down is the last thing I'm thinking of these days. I think about the next country I will visit, what I'm going to do this weekend, when and how am I going to meet my new social circle, or if I'll have a place to stay next month! Its so strange because I'm so used to having my weekends filled up by my established social circles. Now, it's different. The time I have is to myself and finding that new circle of friends.

Why did I bring all this up? My old manager was making fun of me during lunch because he knows that I've tried to "settle down" a few times without any success. He simply said.. "You can't really plan for it, it just happens."

Starting Over
I got my ATM and checkbook today. Woohoo. Now life has begun.
Cell phone and bank accounts setup. Now I just need to sign that lease! And get some new friends!

1 comment:

Abby said...

you soooo do not need a circle of friends. dabble a little in multiple circles. go here, go there, go everywhere. remember waaaaay back when, you gave me many a speeches about the glorious single life? it is glorious! its even notorious! its a time to be selfish. things will happen when you least expect it. boys fall into my lap when im not even looking -- literally. miss ya.