Thursday, December 08, 2005

3 months later..

So its hard to believe that I've been here for over 3 months. Its gone by faster than I thought. I wish I can write something thought provoking, an entry about how the past three months has changed my life. But honestly, right now, its too early.

Thinking introspectively, I think I'm learning more about myself than anything. Back home I kept myself busy surrounding myself with friends I've known all my life and sometimes you get lost in all of that.

The past three months I've spent a lot of time to myself, thinking to myself a lot and even changing my ways on how I look at things.

One of the conclusions I've come up with is that I'm pretty lucky to have friends I've known most or all my life. Friends from grade school, friends from high school, and even maintaining college friends. But at the same time, this comes at a disadvantage.

I think because I rely and lean on these friends I've had all my life its harder for me to meet and create new friendships. As you grow older you tend to have your set cliques and people you can trust and talk about anything and everything with.

After moving here I had to start all over. I realised that its really hard for me to open up to people easily. I can't act myself for some reason. I learned that I'm more of a listener and don't have much to say around people I hardly know.

I've got to learn the skill of superficial conversation. =) Having friends all your life you tend to discuss more personal things and even rely on stupid inside jokes that you've collected all your lives. You know how each person acts and things are just comfortable.

I can say after three months that I'm not comfortable yet. No set cliques and no inside jokes. I can look at the weekend and can say I don't have set plans. But I'm working on it.

I'm finally getting into the routine of things with work and errands, but I still miss the stupid inside jokes, the personal conversation, and just having genuine friendships.

A friend a while back told me: "Your friends will always be there." And sure enough they will and they have been. Thanks for all those who have made the effort to keep in touch! It means a lot.

It will be nice to go back home in a couple weeks to see everyone. And yes, I do have "other" stories to share. =)

London list
So I have a London magnet, London golf hat, London Olympic pins, chocolate, and shoes to shop for. Anything else? I'm still taking requests. =) I'll do my best to pick some of these things up this weekend.

1 comment:

kristine said...

hey can you try and find me a new umbrella with the tube map on it thanks!! hey that was pretty thought provoking tho... sorta...