Thursday, December 22, 2005

When I was in London...

So I went to get a sim card for my UK phone yesterday. I realised that living in a different country as an American serves as a great conversation starter.

I was talking to the salesman and I mentioned I was back for a few weeks and needed a SIM card.

He started by saying how he was a 100% Sicilian but had never been to Sicily, and that I was lucky to live and work outside the States.

I told him that he was still young and had the whole rest of his life ahead of him to visit. Then he started asking about London and the UK: if I liked it, how it was different, etc.

Its quite interesting discussing how my life is in another country now that I'm back in the States. I mean, people would ask in London, but its not as fascinating to them because its their country! But by talking to other American, I guess it tends to be a bit more interesting to discuss. I mean, after all, we are the greatest country in the world! Who would dare live and work outside the US!! =)

But I think 20 years from now, looking ahead, its going to be part of my life forever. Its an experience that I will have learned from, grown from, and something I know I will be talking about for the rest of my life.. which I know will always start with..

"When I was in London.."


Other blogs
A colleague of mine has a photo blog. Very cool. He mentioned that I made one of his posts.. check out my goofy self... 830 degrees

No comments: