Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day




Merry Belated Christmas! I hope everyone's Christmas/Holiday went well. Mine did. It was nice to finally see family and friends during the holidays. I think about how lucky I am to have the opportunity. I can't stop by give myself time to reflect about other people in this world that won't have the ability to share this time with family and friends due to uncontrollable circumstances, or other obligations such as the duty of being a US soldier in a foreign country. I am also grateful for my health and the good health of my family. I pray for for all those who are not in the best of health around these times, and hope they can recover very soon. Now that I live in another country, I can't help but appreciate being home, especially during the holidays.

After seeing many friends and family, I'm asked the normal questions (i.e. How do you like it, how long will you stay, etc.) but one question that makes me think a bit is:

"So how does it feel to be home?"

Initially this is a real quick question to answer. Of course it feels great. No doubt about it. But I really haven't stopped to really think about it truthfully. Not to say it doesn't feel great, because it does, but I think there's a bit more to it than "great."

First off, the food. Wow, perhaps its the holidays, but I've eaten so much here since I've gotten back. I've had a burrito and hooters wings, and of course filipino food. I seriously don't eat this much in the UK. And the portions here are so huge!

Laundry. OMG, our washer and dryer are huge. You really don't appreciate it until you do laundry in the UK.

Driving. Wow, its weird driving after not doing it for 4 months. I mean its like riding a bike, but still, its work. I'm usually just hopping on a train or bus! I actually try to defer driving as much as possible to friends and family now.

Malls and Big Parking Lots. I couldn't find where I parked today. I seriously forgot. I went out the wrong entrance of Marshall Fields and walked around like an idiot. I think I pissed off a couple people because they tried following me to see if they could park in my spot, but little did they know I had no idea where I was going.

Accents. Everyone has an American accent. Obviously. But I actually miss hearing the English accent as background noise..

I'm sure there's more and I'll add to the list as the next couple weeks go by.

Boxing Day
Tomorrow, the 27th is Boxing Day We have this day off in the UK, so why not take it off here since I live and work there.. I will use this holiday wisely I promise. And for those who read this during work... sux to be you, but thanks for reading. =)

1 comment:

Abby said...

happy new year! i think ive finally caught up on the readings. phew.