Wednesday, June 21, 2006

High Five!!

I love watching sports with a big crowd of people. It could be at the actual stadium or even at a neighborhood bar. I remember watching the likes of the Cubs in the Playoffs in Wrigleyville or watching the Illini make a run at the NCAA Tournament at a neighborhood bar. Everyone is cheering for the same team and its so much fun.

Well, yesterday was my first time watching a Football (Soccer) Game at a pub. I went out with my English coworkers to watch the World Cup game - England v. Sweden at a nearby pub.

I must say, it was a lot of fun. It didn't start off that great since the pub we went to had problems with their digital feed! We all ended up leaving the pub to go to another!

The funny part that I experienced the whole night was when England finally went up 1-0 with Joe Cole's amazing goal from 35 yards out!

The pub went crazy.. Everyone was screaming and jumping up and down. Pretty interesting sight with the stereotype of Brits being reserved!

I rejoiced with the first goal as well and was cheering loudly alongside my coworkers!

But then I experienced an awkward moment.

Upon celebration it was very natural for me to get my "High Five" Hand all ready to make contact with another "High Five" Hand. I got my hand all ready, and smiled and look around anxiously to make contact with another Brit to celebrate with a traditional High Five! My hand was half way up to make contact with another awaiting hand, but it never happened. I felt like a complete idiot! =) I scanned the pub to see if anyone else was giving each other high fives..nope.. no one else. No high five's anywhere!!

So I turned my high five hand and turned it to a fist and pumped into the air in celebration to hide my awkwardness. =)

As the game played on I even asked my coworker if anyone gave high five's to each other.. he laughed at me in amusement. Apparently not. Perhaps its an American thing.

In any case, once England scored its second goal, a header by Gerrard, that same coworker called out my name, and with his hand extended in the air, we gave each other a high five!

Yeah!! Good times!!

I'm getting World Cup fever! USA v. Ghana tomorrow and England v. Ecuador on Sunday!

1 comment:

kristine said...

LOL i could totally see you doing that!