Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pimms and Primrose

Finally enjoyed my first beautiful weekend in London by sipping a glass of Pimms on top of Primrose hill. Primrose Hill overlooks central London and chllin on top and reading a book was a good way to enjoy the beautiful weather and enjoy my first glass of Pimms.

Just like sipping afternoon tea, drinking Pimms is another British thing I wanted to experience. Pimms is regarded as a summer drink amongst the British and has an important place in popular drinking culture. I'm all about immersing myself in drinking culture as my slowly growing beer belly can attest.

Pimms was invented in the 1840s by James Pimm, who was the owner of a bar in London and created this mix to aid in digestion. I have heard and read about Pimms before, so it was time to satisfy my curiosity. After having a few glasses, I interpreted it as British Sangria. Mainly because its a fruity drink with a bunch of crap left over that you poke at once your done drinking it. Crap = cucumbers, lemons, limes, strawberries, mint leaves. But the difference between Pims and real Sangria is that after a few glasses of Pimms I wasn't falling over in a drunken stupor or yelling my enduring love for one of my ex-girlfriends as I'm famous for doing so when I'm drunk. No, in fact, I didn't feel like it was very alcoholic at all. Perhaps this is a good thing.

No comments: