Saturday, July 15, 2006

Club Kid 2.0

Clubbing you say?

Why not!

I can't remember the last time I went clubbing for two weekends in a row. I remember after graduating university that I use to hit up the clubs all the time. New job, new found money, it was time to party it up every weekend and hit all the latest clubs in the city. It was a clubbing phase I went though, maybe it was the years being 21-25ish.. But then slowly, I grew out of the stage. Gone were the days of Dragon Room, Crowbar, Ginseng Parties, and coming home right before the sun came up after a long drive from the city to the burbs. Those days were long gone.

Then it was the lounge lover phase where clubbing till 3am was just for the 'younger crowd.' Going out on Thursdays was much more hip then Friday or Saturday. It was about checking out the latest bar venues in the city. It was all about "chill" and sipping on cocktails talking about sophisticated things and catching up on the latest issues like buying a house or talking about so and so's engagement or wedding. Going clubbing made you "feel old" since you were surrounded by so many younger people. Or at least it looked that way!

Clubbing was a rare occurrence, perhaps for birthdays or hitting up Buddha lounge for that craving of hip hop. But going out mainly consisted of a couple drinks at a lounge and the concept of getting "wasted" and vomiting on the way home was less frequent. (Although it did happen on special occasions.)

Fast forward to now. The pub scene is still strong, but to add spice to the mix, the early twenties itch to go clubbing is back.

In a second weekend in a row, I'm teased again by young women who give me seconds of their attention, only leaving me craving for more. I'm guilty of dancing my ass off and sweating profusely as the music is so loud that I feel like my body is being defibrillated. The concept of conversation consists of yelling in another person's ear and having them nod with a smile, when you know they had no idea what you said, but you continue to dance anyway.

There was a point in the night where I was dancing like crazy and I thought: Wow. This is the life I've chosen.. miles and miles away from family and friends, and I'm doing things I would have never thought of... Partying and clubbing till 3am like the good ol' days without the "I feel so old" syndrome! If I was only snogging and shagging more often. =)

1 comment:

ExPat in London said...

It was too damn loud to pull any lines.. instead I used my hips to do the talking.. but unfortunately that was as successful as my sugerdaddy comment.