Monday, July 03, 2006

If I lived in America..

If I lived in America right now I know at least three things I would have never experienced to this day.

1. The final four teams in the world cup and watching each team's quarter-final game and being emotionally tied to the England team. (If you are wondering, off the top of my head: Germany v. Italy tomorrow and Portugal v. France on Wed.)

2. Hang out with Britafinos and other English Asians at a club.

3. Sit in my flat without airconditioning with my greenhouse-like windows that take in all the sun but let little air in.

1. I admit, living in London I can't help but invest some emotion into the England football team. I followed every match and even passed up going to Wimbledon with ChicaChan so I wouldn't miss the game. But alas, history repeated itself for the FIFTH time with England going out on a major tournament by way of penalty kicks. I watched in anguish as Rooney was booked with a red card. I nervously waited as England took turns taking penalty kicks and hoped for the best. But unfortunately, just like how I invest emotion with my favourite Chicago teams, I was left down once again.

2. When you meet one Britafino, you meet more. I meet up with some on Friday. Quite interesting to hang out with a group of English Asian guys at a club.

"Oh mate, check out that bird... She's lovely."

Also, what I call "Asians" they call "Orientals." Thought that was interesting.

And just like in the pubs, everyone buys rounds at the club. At least that's what I noticed. This could get expensive since mixed drinks are more expensive then your typical pint of beer!

3. It's hot in my flat with summer finally here. I need an electric fan. I will pick one up soon. My flat doesn't come with air conditioning. So I sweat in my sleep just like I do when I'm in the Philippines; except there aren't any flies or mosquitoes flying around to annoy me.

4. Oh and I'll add a fourth, for July 4th. Yeah, I would have a day off tomorrow if I lived in America, so Happy July 4th to my fellow American readers!

Lovely.

3 comments:

Renato Tosoc said...

AMEN, Roy :)

dk said...

really. c'mon now.

ExPat in London said...

heh.. I'm thinking I need a haircut first before I approach any birds..