Sunday, August 06, 2006

10 things...

As the one year anniversary of my London move slowly approaches, it was time for a bit of introspection and think about how the past year has changed my life. What better way to organize my thoughts than using a list!

So I couldn't come up with the proper title to this list.. I started with:
"Top 10 things that I do now that I didn't do before moving.." Then I didn't like that and renamed it: "Top 10 things that I wouldn't have experienced if I didn't move to London." But then, some of the things I came up with really didn't fall under that either. So now I've just called it "10 things..." which is perfect because now its a catch-all list.

Basically, the 10 on this list are things that I:


  • Do now, that I didn't do before I moved.
  • What I've experienced that I wouldn't have if I didn't move.
  • Things I've realised because I moved.
  • Things that have changed because of my move here.


You get the idea.. =)

So coming in at number 10..

10) Relying on Public Transportation


The only time I really took public transportation in Chicago was usually the "L" on the red line to Wrigleyville to catch a Cubs game. Or perhaps the brown line a couple stops from work to grad school. I never took the bus and really didn't have a big dependency on public transportation. I had a car at my disposal or I could easily grab a cab.

Now? I rely heavily on public transportation. Without a car, riding a bus or jumping on the tube is part of my daily routine. I deal with all the crowds, all the hassle, and all the general pain when it comes to taking public transportation. Its the primary way I get around. I sometimes give up my personal space and I suffer the disadvantage of not having a 'boot' to put my groceries in or throw my golf clubs in and drive to a golf course.

At the same time, I don't have to worry about paying for gas, having a car payment, worrying about car maintenance, driving on the wrong side of the road, or paying the infamous congestion charge!

What I've realised?

I can live without a car... in a city like London that has
a comprehensive public transport system... =)

Oh S4, don't worry, you are truly and deeply missed. =)

3 comments:

kristine said...

ur blog is gay now bc theres a gajillion pop-ups

but i still read it.

ExPat in London said...

switch to firefox. Popups = 0.
Or get a popup blocker.. or wait.. get a mac. I don't get any popups at all with Mac + firefox. (You probably have spyware on your computer)

Renato Tosoc said...

geek