Thursday, August 03, 2006

Taste of Oxford


Oxford University that is. I had an impromptu visit to Oxford this past weekend. I was hoping to see more on my first visit here, including areas where the Harry Potter movies were filmed. I wanted to see the Great Hall at Christ Church College but it closed before noon, so I didn't get to see it. Maybe next time.

There were commencement ceremonies around campus as well so some of the buildings I wanted to visit were closed, specifically the Bodleian Library.


Some fun facts:

  • Oxford also has a Bridge of Sighs as pictured above. The other being in Venice!

  • Students get three 8 week terms for an academic year.
  • Ashmolean Museum as pictured on the right, was the first museum in the world to be opened to the public!
  • The stairs leading up to the Great Hall in Christ Church College were the stairs used in the Harry Potter films. (Maybe next time I'll grab a photo.)
  • Hitler didn't bomb Oxford during the war because he wanted it to become the Capital of England!

No comments: