Monday, August 21, 2006

Soccer.. or is it Football?

Soccer or Football

8) - Following the world cup and cheering on the England team.

Perhaps its the lack of American sports that's televised here. Maybe its because Football can be one of the main topics of conversation. But if I never moved, I probably wouldn't have even followed the World Cup at all. I wouldn't care really. I wouldn't understand how passionate people are about their teams because if I lived in America I wouldn't care about the world's most popular sport.

I wouldn't know that John Terry replaced Beckham as the team captain. I wouldn't know that McClaren replaced Sven, nor any players names: Zidane, Henry, Owen, Rooney, Lampard, Terry, or Ronaldo. I wouldn't know what a hooligan was or the difference between the Premiership and the FA Cup would be. I certainly wouldn't have watched England's first friendly match win against Greece (4-0) under the new McClaren era.

Back in the day I'd only watch Football on Telemundo to hear the Spanish commentator say GOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL.. because I thought it was funny...now I watch Football because I think I actually like it. Now if only I knew someone that was running a fantasy football league... =)

No comments: