Friday, June 29, 2007

Vegging out

I told myself I'd try something new once in a while. Seeking new experiences makes life interesting.

Rewind about 2 weeks ago. At work.

I go to lunch with 2 of my colleagues more or less everyday. They are vegetarians. Its interesting eating with vegetarians because they always have interesting food to eat. I find it mind boggling how they can constantly not eat some form of meat! I always have to have some piece of flesh in my meal!

So we were having our casual conversation and I told them I'd try being vegetarian for a week.

I started on Monday. How am I doing?

Not bad! Well, out of the 15 meals I've had this week, I slipped once. And that was so unintentional!

First off, when I say vegetarian I mean: no chicken, pork, or red meat! Fish, would be the exception. I had it once this week.

Monday and Tuesday were easy. Unfortunately, on Wednesday, I didn't have lunch with coworkers, so it totally slipped my mind and I had a chicken sandwich!

But since then, I've been good!

I had my weakest moment last night when I went out with a colleague for drinks and we ordered a appetizer plate that included chicken, sausages, and pepperoni pizza! URGH. I held to my guns and only at the onion rings, veggie spring rolls, and potato wedges. It was torture.

I'm not sure how long I will go with this. I want to see if I can last a week. But here are a few things I've come to appreciate and realised:

  • Tofu is pretty good. Especially with Pad Thai and Pad Si Yew

  • I didn't appreciate how good Eggplant is until now.

  • Indian food is perfect if you are vegetarian.

  • Vegetarian = more cheese = more gas. Nuff said.

  • I'm eating more vegetables! Who would have thought!

  • Vegetarian dishes are pretty creative!

  • I get hungry quite quickly.


I think this weekend will be the biggest test as I'm sure I'll be craving chicken or beef very soon.

Nothing like making life a little challenging sometimes! I think this whole experience will force me to try new dishes that I normally wouldn't try!

3 comments:

brian james said...

i gave up meat for lent last year. it was very difficult. another benefit of being vegetarian, is that i lost weight. like 10 pounds after all was said and done. i did continue to eat fish and seafood, because i'll be damned if i'll give up sushi.

dk said...

once you accomplish this task, you should try being vegan for a week or go on the detox diet. ;-)

Renato Tosoc said...

that's just crazy