Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dhalsim

I attended my first yoga class yesterday. I initially took interest in it while flipping through the London Time Out Magazine. There was an article about yoga and I immediately took interest. While reading an article, I noticed that there were yoga classes taking place just down the street to where I lived. So I figured, why the hell not?

First off, I didn’t know what to expect. The only thing I knew going into the activity was that the class was probably going to have a high percentage of women.

Boy was I wrong. I guess other guys had the same idea as I did, and most of the class consists of all guys! I walk into the class, with high expectations of being surrounded by all women, but these hopes came crashing down as reality set in. Not that I signed up to be around women. Of course not! But the stereotype that I had in my head was false and I almost walked out of the classroom in disgust!

What was I to do?

I’ll tell you what I did.

I'm joking. Yes. I did attend my first yoga class, and yes, I’m indeed the ONLY guy. Hahahahaha. How funny would it have been if it was mostly guys! Not that there would be anything wrong with that! Anyway, I walk into the basement of this building not knowing what to expect. The teacher looked at me and I think she was shocked to see a guy.
In any case, I'd be very a memorable face.

The first things I notice is everyone’s socks are off. I immediately think about the fact that guy’s feet are ugly and I wonder if my toenails are too long or if my feet are too hairy. Despite this, I run off to a corner and take off my socks. My self-consciousness disappears as wonder what these women are thinking. It’s a weird feeling being the only guy in a class like yoga.

This class is called Shadow Yoga so basically the yoga teacher performs a pose or movement and we just simply shadow her movements. It ended up being quite fun.

I can tell you now that everyone in the class knows my name. You know why? Because the teacher would always point out what I was doing wrong! I think she called on me like 10 times to correct my poses or movements. Hey, at least she knows my name and so does everyone else!

I think the funniest part of the class was that this one girl didn’t want to take off her socks!! So the teacher almost kicked her out of the class! They got into this heated argument and she was even willing to sign a waiver so she doesn’t have to take them off! I guess she was really self-conscious about her feet! But the teacher let her stay in the class because she said she’d take them off next week or something. Maybe she’s got some weird bunion or fungus on her feet. Gross!!! Can't wait to see her feet next week!

Overall, the class is quite interesting. We did all these different movements and I immediately found out that I have no balance or flexibility. Though, I broke out in a good sweat afterwards. I use to be quite limber during my gymnastics days, so hopefully my muscles will remember those times and my flexibility will all come back! I use to do the splits quite easily you know!

I have class every week for the next five weeks so stay tuned for weekly updates!

And can anybody comment on today’s title and how it relates to all of this? =)

4 comments:

ExPat in London said...

women (I'll edit to make it clearer)

dk said...

so i wonder how many women in the class immediately assumed you were gay or how many women automatically question your true motives for taking the class.

well, here is the next logical question. of all the women in the class, were there any hotties or cuties? or were you too focused in on the teacher and stretching out your groin muscle?

i didn't like dhalsim because he was too slow, but the pros knew how to use him well.

Renato Tosoc said...

I like to think of my self as an old school Street Fighter expert. During the height of my Street Fighter career I took the time to master Dhalsim's movements and found myself to be quite good using him. I'm open to anyone's challenge but it can only be played on the old Super Nintendo.

Now that I've shared my geekiness... an all women class is great. There's a lot of jokes there for going to a Yoga class in general but I'll save those. In exchange, we're all expecting great 'yoga classmate stories' in the next couple of posts. Thanks...

kristine said...

ohhh so Dhalsim said "yoga fire" or "yoga flame"?? everytime i played street fighter back in the day i never understood what he said. All this time i thought he said "donut fire!" or "donut flame!" ya. im a retard. it really SOUNDED like DONUT. not yoga. any takers?