Thursday, January 12, 2006

It's quiet

There is something that has to be said about living alone. It's quiet and hard work. After living with my parents for 3 weeks, the silence is deafening in my flat. I actually miss the background noise of my family, and I find that playing music in the background falls short of a replacement. But as weeks pass, I guess I'll get use to it.

Not only that, but I have to prepare my own food! Blasphemy. Back home food just appeared on the table and I would just sit down and eat! Or I'd have plans to meet up with a friend and catch a meal. Here my dinner date involves answering the knock on the door from the pizza delivery guy.

Coming back to London the second time around hits a little bit harder because the excitement of moving is gone. The novelty of a new environment disappears and you simply just have to get back into a routine. No worries about finding a place to live, getting a bank account, or exploring new surroundings. The buzz of the trip back home slowly disappears and reality sets in.

The good thing about all of this is the travel opportunity starts again with a trip to Amsterdam, Netherlands this weekend. I've been before, about 6 years ago, and it was quite memorable. It will be hard to top the previous trip, but I'm sure this time, it will be much more educational.

The color purple
Check out the latest photo blog of a coworker.

6 comments:

Renato Tosoc said...

Do you have some kind of Food Network there? If so, I suggest Tivo (if you can) or watch some shows. You can learn how to make some cool stuff. I reccomend Rachel Ray or Giada De Laurentiis. They're both hot and there food looks easy to make. Have fun in Amsterdam. "Wanna smoke some drugs?" (50 points to whoever guesses what movie that's from)

ExPat in London said...

I love how you guys converse on comments.. now I know there are other people that read this that are too shy to post!! Get out of your shell!!

dk said...

dear chris,
becoming ok being alone in complete silence without any distractions is a great step to truly being comfortable with one's self. being dependent on no one else but yourself is what will make you a stronger individual. this is all good. i see great growth in you in this time away.
on a different note, don't forget to go to the banana bar while you're in amsterdam. you should know where it is.

lips said...

Happy New Year and welcome back to London! I stumbled upon your blog and it's been fun reading about some parallel experiences. However, you are so much better at updating your blog. Kudos to you!

kristine said...

my favorite is good eats with alton brown. big and kuya-- for the hot british/femail cooks-- Nigella Lawson of Nigella Bites on Style network takes the cake.

http://www.stylenetwork.com/Shows/NigellaBites/

Renato Tosoc said...

Roy gets 50 points. But we are all winners with hot chefs on tv.