Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Free Willy

How can I have a blog about London without talking about the whale that wondered into the River Thames? It was all over the news. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to wonder over to watch the rescue effort, but its so sad because the whale didn't make it. =( It was a northern bottlenose whale and I've read that its an animal of the very deep seas and usually found at depths of 1000m or more where it likes to eat deep sea squid. In any case, RIP friendly whale.

In a lighter note.. do you hear it?? I do.. Michael Jackson.. Will you be there..
awww yeah..

Cut the cheese
So I bought one of these:


a cheese wheel from Amsterdam. Its covered with wax because it cuts down on the mold growth and it also prevents the cheese from dehydrating to the point where its rock hard. Thing is, I've never bought cheese like this before. I bought a cheese plane and everything, but it was so hard to cut/peel the wax off. I was careless enough that the cheese plane slipped and cut up my thumb. Urgh.. I just wanted a piece of cheese!! So much work for a little piece of cheese.. Kind of reminds me of eating crab legs.. so much work.. just for a little piece..

3 comments:

Renato Tosoc said...

So this River Thames, is it kind of like the Chicago River here, where it's like right in the middle of the city? That would be cool if a whale wandered into the Chicago river. I'm not a marine biologist but I'm pretty sure there aren't any whales in Lake Michigan. You never know though.

dk said...

so how did the cheese taste?

ExPat in London said...

renato - yes, but it doesn't branch out like the chicago river.. nor does it get painted green during st. pats day.

dk - cheese.. tastes like wax.