Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Globetrotter, and pick up your poo.

Ah.. back in good ol' London. Nothing like grey skies to instill you with that morose feeling. Trying to get back into the routine... Nothing like being jetlagged... Constantly yawning, I feel like a zombie. People talk to you and everything registers so slowly. I've been using, "Huh?" and "What?" a lot today.

So I just realised that in a little over a month I've been on a plane too many times to count. I don't know how people can constantly travel. But it’s been a good month of travel to say the least.

I believe 2005 is by far the year where I've traveled the most.

I started in Cancun to ring in the new year, a visit to the native land over the summer, various European cities in between and ended in NYC, Miami and Chicago to close it off.

Just in the past month in a half - 4 different countries (Italy, UK, the States and Netherlands), 5 different states (CT, NY, IL, GA, FL), spanning 8 cities (Venice, London, Stamford, NYC, Chi-town, Atl, Miami, Amsterdam) and 2 continents if I count Amsterdam, Netherlands this weekend. It didn't hit me until I wrote it down just now. I've been very lucky with the opportunity that’s for sure.

Looking down
So on my walk to work, reminiscing the fun times I had back home, my mind wanders. When this happens I tend to look down at the ground with a smirk on my face. (Random thought - I believe that when most people daydream or when they are thinking about something deeply while walking, they tend to look either down on the ground rather than straight up in the air. Wouldn't that be weird if people looked up in the air with a smirk on their face. At least when you look down at the ground you tend to know where you are going. If you look up into the air and smile, you simply look crazy, psychotic in my opinion. I mean, picture it.. am I right?)

So anyway, as I continue to walk and daydream, I notice, more than usual, the amount of faeces on the ground. Can I tell you how much this disrupts my daydreaming? Sheesh. I counted four instances along the path to work. I don't understand why dog owners can't pick up after their dogs. Usually when I see people walk their dogs in the States I notice they are carrying a plastic bag with them for proper cleanup. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed dog owners here carry this necessary accessory. I'm not saying none of them don't clean up after their dogs, its just I haven't witnessed it yet.

I hope..
Things get more interesting here so I don’t have to write about dog poo.

5 comments:

Abby said...

yes. you're very right. you're correck. i think i look crazy/psychotic when i smile at the sky when walking to/from work.

kristine said...

dood man. i wish i travelled as much as you... does travelling to different hospitals count? i've been to Rush University, Children's Memorial, and University of Chicago all in the past week... hahaha- jealous!? i thought so.

Renato Tosoc said...

Great post. Watch your step.

dk said...

when i'm walking home from work, i stare straight forward while i'm daydreaming, with a smirk, smile, or scowl on my face. i must be crazy.

why don't you get a dog yourself. it can help you eliminate your fear of dog doodoo.

ExPat in London said...

staring straight up would make you look crazy.. nothing wrong with staring straight forward..=)

and I didn't say anything about fearing dog doodoo at all, its just plain unsanitary!