Monday, February 20, 2006

Ambassador and accents

Nothing like hitting a pub and meeting new Brits. A coworker and I were sitting and enjoying our pints after a long week. We kept to ourselves and discussed the week that was.

There was a large group next to us and well, let's just one of them interrupted our conversation. This worked out quite well since it gave us reason to join their group!

The thing about meeting new Brits is the views they have on America. There are a few main themes that seem to be consistent with most of my interactions with the Brits. (And I like to reserve the fact that these themes are only my opinion.)

1. For some odd reason, every Brit I've met thinks I'm Republican and asks me why I voted for Bush. (This usually results on a discussion about the electoral college.)

2. I've been asked if I own a gun. (This then results on the debate about gun control.)

3. America is such an insular country. (This I usually agree with and isn't much of a debate)

4. And of course, the ever so popular, America has everything. Why are you here?

Sometimes I feel like an ambassador since I feel like I have to defend America and remind people that there are America is not just about guns and oil and that there are Americans who have an open mind to other cultures!

Anyway, I'd like to briefly focus on the last two since they are so much related. I've read somewhere that there is only 34% of Americans over 18 that have a passport. Why is that? What is that figure so low? I assume it has to deal with the last theme I mentioned: America has everything, so why go anywhere else!

I find it quite sad that only about a third of Americans have passports. Perhaps its due to American culture to travel only within the country. Perhaps is the limited amount of vacation days Americans have. Maybe some Americans don't have the opportunity nor the money. I respect it all. But I think visiting other parts of the world opens a person's mind to new cultures and the experiences can even be life changing!

I'll admit, America does have its conveniences and offers great opportunity. One of things I do miss is the convenience factor. Things seem bigger and better. But I think experiencing/visiting other countries can only help open one's mind to human nature, its diversity and ultimately to increase knowledge and decrease ignorance.
So if you ever have the opportunity to visit countries outside of America and see a foreign land, do it! Even if its Canada, eh? =)

Ultimate compliment
So despite all the debate with some of the Brits, and after a few pints, I decided to bust out my wannabe British accent. The thing with my British accent is that I can't do it on the spot or when I'm around all Americans. I need to be around other Brits so I can listen and imitate. Its like a singer or a choir that need a harmonica before singing. So feeling quite confident, I started saying a few phrases in my accent to these two girls. They complimented me! One said:

"Wow, that's quite good!"

while the other agreed saying:

"That IS quite good!"

I'll never forget that. It made my night. I wonder if there's a "How to speak with a British Accent" class because I would sign up in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

dk said...

that's a good idea. chris, can you set up an alternative "expat's good stuff" blog which is by invitation only?