Friday, February 03, 2006

I get it... and Oops.

It feels good to talk to someone that 'gets' you. Someone that understands what you are going through and someone that's not afraid to be 'blunt' at times. I had a realization yesterday drinking with one of my old coworkers. I was explaining to him that its so different here because I'm not surrounded by people I've known all my life or people that I have such close relationships with. He basically came out in so many words and said..

"You won't get that here. You are just about past the point in your life where you make lifelong friends. You are at an age where you are set in your ways and its harder to create long lasting relationships at this point. You just need to get hitched mate!"

I always knew this.. but to hear someone be so up front about it, it really hits home. He can totally relate to me because he in fact lived in the States for a bit before coming back here. Its always nice to talk to someone that 'gets' you. The best part of all of this is that we have the same sense of humour so it was quite refreshing to be around someone to share laughs with.

Oops!
It was bound to happen. We were doing some complex moves in Yoga class. It was a great workout and quite relaxing. We were doing different stretches and I lost my concentration.

You see I had a bowl of cereal before class.. with a lot of milk. I don't know about you but milk gives me gas. I've been so good in making sure not to 'let one go' during class. But I did have a moment of weakness. After doing a complicated stretch, we were supposed to take a neutral stance and then it happened.

At first I was in a state of shock. It wasn't that loud, but I knew it happened. It was one of those situations where I wanted to look around to see if anybody heard what I just did. But I was afraid to. The thing is...I was standing in front of the teacher, and right after it happened.. she said..

"Oops!"

I looked at her and she had a grin on her face. The thing is, I wasn't sure if the "Oops" was for me, or for something else. I didn't think it was that loud, but perhaps she heard it. I guess I'll never know.

The best part of all this is after class she asked me..

"So you feeling okay?"

Maybe she was just being nice and was concerned because I was covered with sweat.
Or perhaps she did hear my gas.

5 comments:

Chica Chan said...

I totally and completely disagree. I don't think you are at a point where you stop making lifelong friendships. And in no way does that mean you have to get hitched.

In the 5 months or so I have been in Barcelona, I know that I have made some solid friendships here. I think you will, too. It might take some time in London but it will happen. These new friendships can be just as good as the ones you made in Chicago. I will bet on it.

ExPat in London said...

ooh.. ms. chan.. we'll have to have a discussion when I visit you in a month and half... I think we're talking about two completely different cultures here, and two different environments.. I'll take your word for it tho. I'd love to hear more of your perspective face to face.. =)

kristine said...

i was laughing out loud at the oops part of your blog. everyone else commented on the serious part of your blog. brilliant.

Renato Tosoc said...

Chica Chan has my vote. We're not that old. You're never at an age where you HAVE to do something. Unless you're talking about getting to that age where you HAVE to stop going to clubs and hitting on young chicks.

As far as your Yoga-fireball, That was definitely classic. Everytime I let one go, I will say 'oops' and laugh. Thank you.

dk said...

HAHAHHAHA!!!!!!! Oh my gosh! It was so hard for me not to chuckle in front of all my co-workers here in my large conference room at work while reading your Oops story. I wish I was there next to you. Classic! Have you ever heard any of your other classmates let one go?

As for the serious stuff, I 100% disagree with your co-worker. You can still make tons of life-long friends at this age. I've met several in just the past 6 months. It is different for different people because a lot of it depends on your personality and attitude. You should have no problem, mr. ex-social chairman. Online dating will help you meet not just dates but also possibly great friends.