Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Curry, Left Hand guitar, and Thongs

So I went out on a rare Monday night with a couple co-workers and the American "interns" that are part of the one year program here. Had curry again for dinner in the Brick Lane area. (Brick Lane is a street which is lined with restaurants, mostly curry houses) I decided to try a new dish to expand my knowledge of the cuisine. I tried the Lamb Jalfrezi, a recommendation from a co-worker, which turned out to be very good. Its definitely more spicier compared to other dishes I've had before, but not too spicy that I didn't enjoy the meal.

Anyway after dinner we went to Vive Bar which was down the street. Cool place. Dark, artsy, it kind of reminded me of a bar in Chicago that for the life of me I can't think of. (For the Chicago readers out there, its the one by the United Center, Ukraine Village.. plays reggae once in a while??) Anyway, the stage was setup for performances. The first performance was by a lady that played the guitar left handed! It was pretty cool. Thing is, she didn't restring the guitar! Her performance was good and she sounded like Tori Amos.

So can anyone name a famous left handed guitar player? =) No googling.

The next guy was even better. Picture Dave Chappelle and John Mayer put together. Except that he wasn't playing the guitar. It was so weird because he had a guy sitting down next to him playing the guitar. It would have been so much better if he was actually playing. He had a great voice and totally got into his music. For some reason though, as my co-worker pointed out, he had a piece of black tape that ran along vertically on the front of his pants. Not sure if that was some kind of fashion statement?

While he was playing I did get to talk to the left handed Tori Amos. After a few jack and cokes, she passed by and I caught her attention. I complimented her on her left handed playing skills. I told her I was left handed and I asked her how she taught herself to play. (I try to play right handed, but it feels better playing left handed.) Apparently she used a code book. Not sure what that is though. But before I could get into deep and revealing conversation I was rudely interrupted by some other "feminine-like" guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thongs
So somehow I got into a conversation about thongs with these two other American women. I honestly don't remember how it started or why it started, but for some reason we started talking about thongs. After a few drinks, things can get quite candid. But I did ask if it was "comfortable." And they said that a woman shouldn't try to "fool" herself and get the "wrong size." If you get the "wrong size" and buy something that isn't "quality" then it will be uncomfortable. This was quite enlightening. Comfortable or not, being a guy, as long as you are wearing one, I don't know what it is, but it's a great visual, esp with WPs.

2 comments:

Renato Tosoc said...

I was gonna say jimi hendix as well and the bar in question is Lava Lounge, I believe.

Abby said...

whats "WPs"?