Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving, hair and earphones.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Mine went surprisingly well. Thursday night the team went out ice skating and that was quite fun. It's not as nice as the one in Millennium Park in Chicago, but it will do. The ice wasn't quite as smooth, but more importantly, I didn't fall on my bum. =) After that we went out for tapas and drinks. It wasn't a huge Thanksgiving dinner as it was more appetizers, but the red wine kept flowing. To be honest, I got pretty drunk. The problem with drinking red wine while sitting in a table for about 4 hours is that you can't really tell how drunk you are until you stand up. It was one of those nights were I passed out when I got home, only to wake up in the middle of the night wondering what happened! Overall though, it was better than staying at home being homesick!

It was Saturday night that I had a proper Thanksgiving dinner. An old co-worker, English, but had lived in the States in the past, hosted a Thanksgiving dinner in his home. Him and his wife cooked a turkey and all the dishes that are part of a Thanksgiving dinner: mash potatoes, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn and all the rest of the trimmings. We even had pumpkin pie that my other co-worker brought! It was nice to stuff myself with so much good food, and I'm glad that him and his family invited all of us over.

Haircut

I decided to splurge and get a expensive haircut. Expensive meaning twice I normally pay. I was never happy with the barbers by work, so I was in search for another place that I can cut my hair the way I want. So I asked my doorman and mentioned a place. I went to check it out and it looked very posh. I didn't care at this point since it took me forever to find the place. I walked in wearing jeans and gym shoes when I felt like I should be wearing dress pants and nice black shoes. =) Anyway, after reluctantly agreeing to pay what was equivalent to about $35, they took my jacket and asked me if I wanted anything to drink. I responded quickly with a no, more because of shock that they asked in the first place. I look back at it now, and I should have taken advantage of their full service since I declined a couple times. Anyway, I get a stylist, who happened to have what looked like the Puma logo tattooed to the right side of his head. He was quite good though. I think the best part was getting my hair washed. There's nothing like someone massaging your scalp. At first I didn't know how to feel when she started washing my hair. Initially I was freaking out since I wasn't expecting it, but then I just told myself to relax and I did indeed enjoy it.

Damn Earphones

You know the problem with a person wearing earphones is that you can't get their attention. To accomplish this, sometimes you have to resort to physical action. For example, using your grocery basket to slam into them and get their attention right as they are checking out. It works. But sometimes creating "fate" and letting it happen are two different things. But either way, if you create opportunity, you must take advantage of it. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough "game" to do that. 3 chances and I struck out. I blame it on the earphones.

2 comments:

Abby said...

one time, i was getting my hair shampooed and i was really tired that AM. so as i was sitting there my eyes closed a bit. but the shampoo girl thought i was enjoying the washing so she started massaging my scalp and she was really getting into it...she was lunging and everything. it was weird and uncomfortable.

kristine said...

hey kuya, my friend told me to check out "harvey nicks." He says there are some awesome stuff there... maybe u can even get ur hair cut there next time.

http://www.harveynichols.com/output/Page1.asp