Monday, November 14, 2005

Stepping on someone in Borders

In hopes of trying to get a software update on my mobile phone, I decided to venture off into the Oxford Street area of the city. (The Oxford Circus stop in the Central Line if you are taking the tube.) Anyway, as I ventured off to find a Carphone Warehouse so I can get an engineer to fix my phone, I exit the tube stop, and I'm totally consumed by the mass quantity of people.

I felt like I was going against the grain walking down Oxford Street with so many people filling the sidewalk. I felt like I was navigating through Bourbon Street on Marti Gras or Times Square on New Year's Eve. I was waving in and out as walking in a straight line was eventually result in running someone over. Everyone was so tightly packed together. There really isn't a concept of personal space here in London. I actually don't mind it anymore. Just this weekend, a couple people slammed right into me on accident as the centrifugal force shifted as the bus or tube started motion.

But to continue, with the concept of personal space, I begin with the bookstore: Borders on Oxford Street. I've been to Borders before many times in the States. I've been when its been busy and when its been slow. I've taken advantage of skimming through many books and magazines many times.

Borders is the modern public library. Everyone goes there. It's a great place to people watch, a great place to relax, read a magazine, do some research, and enjoy a cup of coffee.

But I think the London Borders I went to has taken it into a new level. First of all, I've never seen so many people in a Borders before. I guess I can attribute it to the fact that people seem to be shopping early for Christmas. As I continued into the higher floors, there are so many people everywhere. Its like there was some clearance sale going on.

What's so funny about all of this is this concept of personal space I've written about earlier. I took a quick glance at what looked like a couch that could easily fit 2 people, only to be filled with three people! In America, people like to sprawl out, spread their arms/legs wide making sure only another person would fit, if that. But I chuckled to myself because the three people in the couch were all into what they were reading, but with their arms and shoulders constricted close to their bodies, a position similar when keeping your body warm in a cold winter day! And it didn't seem like they didn't mind at all!

As I continued on, people were everywhere reading. People were sitting on the bookshelf stools, leaning against the shelves, and even on the floor. It was so packed, even finding a place to sit on the floor was hard to find!

As I walked around, skimming through the technical geek book I was reading, I unfortunately stepped on someone. =( Well, not literally, but stepped on their jacket on accident because I was too consumed in the book. I didn't see her. You see, the person was sitting on the floor in a path that would be considered heavy traffic!! It was bound to happen! I felt bad, apologised, and walked away embarrassed.

I'm surprised there isn't a fire hazard with all the people sitting on the floor. I swear some of these people show up when Borders opens, pick up a book or stack of magazines, and read it all the way through until it closes for the day. I only say this because some lady was halfway through what looked like a thick novel! She wasn't doing research or skimming through it to see if she wanted to buy it.

But as I think about it, I think I'm going to try and do the same thing next weekend. Pick a book and spend all day on the floor. Hopefully I won't get stepped on!

Soundtrack
Another addition to the soundtrack:

Different Names for the Same Thing - Death Cab for Cutie

Just the title says it all when it comes to the language differences between American and English.

1 comment:

Abby said...

i cant stand it when strangers touch me. (i just re-read that and it doesnt sound right, but you know what i mean). invasion of my personal space gives me the weebie-jeebies...i HATE it!!!