Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Brighton, East Sussex

Brighton is a hour and a half train ride south of London. I couldn't let a three day weekend pass by without a trip somewhere, so I was off to the southern coast of England. Known to be the "vegetarian capital of Europe," 60 percent of its population are under the age of 45! It is also known for its thriving gay and lesbian scene!

I actually didn't know these facts before my visit, but experienced it myself! Well, except for the gay and lesbian bit. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When eating at a restaurant, I did notice the large amount of vegetarian options and when walking around there were a lot of "Vegetarian-like" restaurants. And indeed, there were a lot of younger people!


The picture on the right is Brighton Pier! Unfortunately it doesn't come close to Navy Pier. It has an old feel to it with carnival rides at the end of the pier. You know the kind of carnival rides that travel from suburb to suburb back in the States.
And what would a set of carnival rides be without carnival games. You know the ones that rip you off because they look so easy to play but really they're not.

Then there's the beach. I have a new visual when it comes to a pebble beach. See below:



Imagine a beach with small pebbles. The last beach I went to was South Beach. This beach doesn't compare. (Well there was a "nude beach" section, but no nudes!) Imagine laying out on small pebbles like this! What about sand castles! Or burying yourself up to your neck in sand! I guess the only good bit is that you don't get sand in places you don't want!

I think the best part of the city is the large amount of bohemian, independent shops in a section of the city called North Laine. Its a network of cobbled streets, otherwise known as the "Lanes" and its basically full of different shops that have this "urban outfitter," wicker-park, artsy type feel.

Unfortunately it wasn't as warm as it should be so there wasn't a lot of people enjoying the beach.



Maybe next time I can get small pebbles stuck in my underwear as I sit on the beach. I'm sure it won't itch as much as sand does.

No comments: