Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Cinco de Mayo - This day commemorates the victory of Mexican forces over the French in 1862.

In Chicago, if I remember correctly, this is one of those days were proud Mexicans drive around waving their Mexican flags. (The other day being Sept 16 when the Mexican's claimed independence from the spanish) Sometimes you'll see flags taped to the hood of their cars as they drive up and down the street, honking their car horns. It's also another reason to party as various bars hold Cinco de Mayo parties!

Unfortunately, I really don't think I'm going to see proud Mexicans driving up and down the street with their flags taped onto their hoods. Why? Mainly because I believe there is a direct relationship between the number of Mexican food restaurants and the size of the Mexican population in London.

Since I haven't exactly come across any good burrito places, nor many Mexican restaurants for that matter, I'm pretty sure coming across a car with a Mexican flag pinned to its hood wouldn't be very likely. Nothing like I would see "West of Western" back home that's for sure.

Oooo.. Maybe someone will tape a flag to the train in the tube. That would be awesome.

I wonder how India Independence Day (from the UK) is celebrated here in London? (Aug 15) With the large amount of Indians in London, that would be a party. I can see it now. Flags taped to the hoods, horns honking up and down the streets of London, playing Beware of the Boys by Panjabi MC and Jay-Z. Brilliant.
That would be one hell of a sight, and one hell of a party. I almost can't wait.

1 comment:

kristine said...

bang-anang anang ananga bang anang anang! bading ba-ding ba-ding *arm movements in the air*

my indian friend said that if u want to dance indian, pretend that you're screwing a lightbulb with one hand, and patting a dog with the other, and make sure your hands are raised above your shoulders.

to all you blog readers: I KNOW ALL OF YOU ARE TRYING IT OUT RIGHT NOW!

okaybye. =)