Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Weather and Football

The top two topics of conversation are no other than the weather and of course, Football.

Talking about the weather is an everyday thing. Its almost an ice breaker with any Brit. Talking about the weather comes right after saying hello. It's small talk and almost a greeting of sorts. Also, Brits aren't happy if you make fun of their weather. I've made fun of it a couple times and just by reading their faces I could tell it was a sensitive topic. I've learned to simply agree to whatever comment is made about the weather and say things like: "At least its not raining!" when there is severe overcast. (Of course it rains like an hour later.)

Football or Soccer is another huge topic of conversation. I usually get left out of these discussions because I am not affiliated with any specific team. Everyone seems to be affiliated with a football team but me. Its public knowledge on which team you are cheering for. You get made fun of if your team loses and get praised if your team wins, almost as if you personally had to do with the outcome of the game. People ask me who I'm affiliated with and I say I don't have a team. People are shocked by this and even give me recommendations on what team I should be cheering for. I think I'm leaning towards Arsenal, mainly because where I live. My area is full of Arsenal fans. I guess It would be like not having a baseball team and choosing the Cubs because you would be living in the Northside of the city. I guess the French are big Arsenal fans as well. That's what my colleague tells me at least. I guess because the coach and their top player, Thierry Henry is French.

Should be interesting with the World Cup starting in a few weeks. At least I'm starting to learn the teams to look out for and who the big names are. Just wish it would stop raining.

4 comments:

Renato Tosoc said...

Awesome Post! See you in a couple weeks!!!

This post inspired a movie quote:

"Oh that's real cute how you bounce that ball of your head and stuff. Personally I don't think a sport is a real sport unless you use your hands."

(Paraphrased)

What movie and who said it?

Chica Chan said...

Futbol ROCKS! BARCA RULES!!! It's fun to play but I don't know about watching. I usually fall asleep. Cool news - I'm trying to see if I can get this internship in London for 6 weeks before going to Guatemala for another internship. Wish me luck! In the meantime, keep an eye out for temporary housing for me!

I'm off to Paris for a business school sports competition this weekend and then Ireland next weekend. Whoo hoo! Being in Europe is really awesome!

Cheers!

ExPat in London said...

Renato, no I have no idea what movie that is.. I was never good at guessing movie quotes..

Chica Chan, yeah, congrats on Barca winning the UEFA Championship League Cup.. (Barca beat Arsenal) I hope you get the internship! Both trips sound fun!!

ExPat in London said...

you thought wrong!! I have a three day weekend as well.. ;p