Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Keswick, Cumbria, England

I didn't know anything about this little town until my coworker said he was going to spend the weekend there. Nor did I know anything about the "Lake District." It was going to be a three day weekend, and there was no chance that I'd be staying in London.


We stayed at a bed and breakfast called Bagsend. It was my first time so I didn't know what to expect. It's really strange because you literally are living in someone's house. It's the strangest feeling. But the breakfast was good and the bed was perfect. Not only that but there was a shower in my room! How convenient, but weird at the same time! I guess it would be similar to living in a studio but it was just strange just having a shower right next to my bed!

We spent the first day taking a "walking tour" around the area. I bought a map for 60p at the tourist center and it gave me this "Lonely Planet" type walking tour around the area. This tour ended with a view that looked over Lake Derwentwater.




The second day we spent most of the day mountain biking. We left around 11AM and what was frustrating was that for the next four hours there wasn't any food/water along the way that we could buy! I was so tired, thirsty, and hungry. But we made it. It was probably the most technical ride I've done. Not that I'm all hard core about mountain biking, but there were 45 degree climbs and we had to ride over crags. Crags you ask? I had no idea what they were either until I tried riding over them.

It was funny sometimes because we'd get passed by hard core mountain bikers. We tried to look all hard core but it didn't help we were wearing jeans while they had their proper biking shorts, cool helmets, etc.

At the end of it all, even with the hard physical work I had put in, we were rewarded with awesome views of the country and made me appreciate England a little bit more.

I leave you with one of my favourite images:

4 comments:

Renato Tosoc said...

um, was this co-worker a girl or a dude?

ExPat in London said...

a dude..and no, we didn't stay in the same room.

dk said...

my issue is that the shower looks too small to fit more than one person in there. that would mean if i wanted to take a shower with my travel partner/significant other/roommate, it would become extremely difficult to get back scrubbed. was there a bathtub anywhere? does every room in the bed & breakfast have the same shower setup?

were the mountain bikes dual suspension or only front shocks? and what are crags? are they types of rocks? please explain.

kristine said...

that bed n breakfast pic looks weird. but all the pictures look like postcard pics. are you sure u didn't just link those from some other websiteee!? i'm on to you. haha just kidding.

i think crags are like mini mountains? I remember watching on nickelodeon a show called "guts" and at the end of the show their last obstacle was to climb the "AGROCRAG" and it was a mountain, within a huge arena with an audience. does anyone remember this show?